Summer is coming to a close, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to end. This Labor Day, serve up Chef Christina Machamer’s Dungeness Crab Cake recipe with a glass of Frank Family Blanc de Blancs to celebrate summer’s last hurrah in style.
Luscious and sweet crab meat, diced jalapeño, lemon zest, and a blend of spices are folded into Chef’s favorite ingredient, buttered crackers, to achieve the perfect crunchy exterior and savory interior every time. Pair each fried bite with our sparkling Blanc de Blancs, whose bright acidity and brioche flavors partner exceptionally well with the crisp cracker crumbs and rich aioli spread. Can you think of a better combination to bid the season farewell?
|1 Tablespoon||Canola olive oil|
|1/4 Cup||Red onion, small dice|
|1/4 Cup||Red bell pepper, small dice|
|1 Each||Jalapeño, small dice|
|2 Teaspoons||Old Bay seasoning|
|1 Each||Lemon, zest|
|1/4 Cup||Chopped herbs- such as parsley, cilantro, chives, or tarragon|
|1 Teaspoon||Black pepper, finely ground|
|1 Teaspoon||Smoked paprika|
|2 Each||Eggs, beaten|
|1 Pound||Dungeness crab meat|
|1 Each||12oz Box Ritz Cracker, ground in a food processor|
|1/4 Cup||Canola oil|
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add canola, and sauté onion and bell pepper until they become translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a Large bowl, combine sautéed onion and bell pepper, Jalapeño, spices, mayonnaise, egg, lemon zest, crab, and 1 cup of ground butter crackers. Gently fold mixture together, making sure as many lumps of crab meat stay intact as possible.
- Form mixture into desired cake size- smaller for an appetizer, larger for an entrée. Place in freezer for 20 minutes. This will help the cakes stay firm when you bread them.
- Roll cakes in cracker crumbs to form a dry outer coating.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add 1/4 cup canola oil. Lightly sauté cakes in batches until golden brown, replacing the oil, and wiping the pan with each batch.
- Evenly space sautéed cakes onto a parchment lined sheet tray. In a preheated oven at 3500F, bake the cakes until warmed throughout, approximately 10 minutes.