Green tomatoes are by definition under-ripe and are therefore, firmer and more dense than riper, red tomatoes. They lend themselves perfectly to be coated and fried to bring additional texture and weight to the dish and Chef Christina Machamer’s “Come Back” dipping sauce offers complexity and spice notes to further elevate it. The Frank Family Lady Edythe Reserve Brut is the perfect wine to complement this plate. Its crisp acidity, clean profile, and creamy mouthfeel balances the fried tomato without overpowering or becoming lost next to it. Enjoy this southern staple with a Napa Valley twist!
Ingredients: Fried Green Tomato
2 each Unripe green tomatoes 1/2 Cup Wondra flour, divided 1 Tablespoon Salt 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper 1/2 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic salt Dash Cayenne Pinch Sugar 2/3 Cup Buttermilk 1 each Large egg 1 1/2 Teaspoon Franks Hot Sauce 2/3 Cup Ground Ritz Crackers 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
Method: Fried Green Tomato
- Slice tomatoes 1/4” thick, discarding the ends.
- Make seasoned flour by combining 1/4 cup Wondra with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, cayenne, and sugar. Mix well to combine and place in a small container.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce then place in a small container.
- Mix 1/4C Wondra with Ritz Cracker Crumbs and place in a small container.
- Bread the tomatoes by coating well in flour, then buttermilk and egg mixture, then ritz cracker crumbs and make sure the tomato is fully coated.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large cast iron pan or set a home fryer to 350 degrees. Fry tomatoes until golden brown and place on a plate lined with papertowel. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
Ingredients: “Come Back Sauce”
1/2 Cup Duke’s Mayonnaise 1 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped parsley 1 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped cilantro 2 Tablspoons Ketchup 2 Tablspoons Franks Hot Sauce or Sriracha 1 Tablspoon Worcestershire Sauce 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic salt 1/2 Teaspoon Salt 1/4 Teaspoon Ground black pepper To taste Fresh lemon juice
Method: “Come Back Sauce”
- Mix well to combine, and adjust flavor with lemon juice if desired.