Fresh tomato sauce over a bed of your favorite pasta pretty much has it all – great texture, mouthwatering acidity, and a juicy sweetness. When adding wine to this already perfect equation, you don’t want to overpower the fruity nuances with something heavy and tannic. That’s why Frank Family’s Winston Hill Sangiovese is the obvious choice to pair with this sauce. Its medium body, fruit forwardness, and manageable tannins make it one of the most food-loving red wines in our collection. Thank you Chef Christina Machamer for sharing your delicious recipe with us!
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil 1 Pound Lean ground beef or ground turkey 1/2 Sweet onion, diced 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped 2 Pounds Summer heirloom tomatoes, dices or one 28oz can crushed tomatoes 1/2 Teaspoon Chili flakes 1 Sprig Fresh oregano 2 Tablespoons Basil, chopped
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan and add ground meat. Season to taste. Brown meat until fully cooked and meat begins to turn brown. Remove meat to a bowl and retain fat in the pan.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute until aromatic.
- Return meat to the pan, then add tomatoes, chili flake, and oregano.
- Simmer sauce covered for about 45 minutes, then add in fresh basil.
- Serve with your favorite spaghetti or use for a summer lasagna sauce.